Skip to content
Service Delivery Community

Customer Experience Commitments (CXC) for Digital Services

Moving from Service Level Agreements (SLA) to Customer Experience Commitments (CXC)

Let’s face it, is it really an additional .009 that really makes the difference between two services? (that is, a 99.99% versus a 99.999% of availability). Well maybe if you are an astronaut you may be interested in this information, but if you are a user of a Digital Service you are not in fact really interested in gaining more nines.

What you really care about is how many improvements does your digital service provider include in a year into their digital service (new features) and how do they really help you when you ask them for support. This is Customer Experience (CX). It is Customer Experience what really makes the difference between one digital service and another.

Service Level Agreements (SLA) have been established over many years as the quality measure in service contracts. They were supposed to be the quality assurance driver, but what happened when SLA was reached and customers were not happy?

Many SLAs established quality objectives in 90% of compliance. If a service provider reached a 95%, it was meeting by far the agreed upon service levels. But who really cared about the other 5%? Who were they? What problems were they suffering? Would it really be so difficult to make this 5% happy?

Nowadays a 5% of non-happy customers may ruin all your digital reputation. Your customers’ experience is your brand’s reality.

Customer Experience Management (CXM) process implementation

Customer Experience Management (CXM) is a process that any Digital Service Management (DSM) organization must implement if they really care about their Customers. Basically, a Customer Experience Management (CXM) implements a Customer Experience culture.

The Customer Experience Advocate (CXA) role

The process owner of the CXM process is the Customer Experience Manager, but the key role in this process is the Customer Experience Advocate (CXA). In a Digital Service Management (DSM) organization, each Customer Experience (CX) team member is an active leader. This leadership role has only one single goal: reaching a “WOW experience” for the Customer.

Here the point is not explaining to the customer in a rational way that you are reaching a Service Level Agreement (SLA). This is not about reaching cold numbers. The focus is reaching the emotional side of their brain. It is about showing, that in fact, you care about them, and you really are going to do everything that it is in your power to solve their problem. No matter what was the initial issue, if you connect emotionally with them in this resolution process, you will have gained them for a life. Digital service quality is not about what you say (aggregation of data or percentages), it is about what they feel (number of happy and unhappy customers, and why).

The Happiness Engineer role

Recently I received a message from Linkedin, because one of my contacts had change of work. His new job position was “Happiness Engineer”. Just this role name, changed an smile in my face. It sounds cool, but it also reflects very well the requisites for this position. The Happiness Engineer role defines that it belongs to an organization very focused in a powerful Customer Experience commitment.

Currently there are several companies hiring people for this role, Automattic and FlyWheel are just some examples. In the Digital Services age, customer experience is not only a responsability of the front office, but also involves anyone in the supply chain.

Are you ready for establishing Customer Experience Commitments (CXC)?