ITAM has got all the limelight from all MSB’s (Medium Scale Businesses) and LSB’s (Large Scale Businesses) and has become an important topic/ essential business practice for most of the organizations. To know what is ITAM, please check my columns (ITAM Part I) and (ITAM Part II)
I have seen many of the ITSM consultants trying to learn about ITAM, and exploring the new arena ITAM. Understanding the importance of ITAM consulting, here is my approach on ITAM consulting which can be classified into 4 stages as Assess, Present, Implement, and Continuous Improvement.
- Understand the needs of customer, addressing the need and goals of the project, scope of the assets (printers, laptops, desktops, etc.), out of scope, etc
- Understand how much money and human resources are being spent on management of IT assets or the “as is” scenario?
- Identify if there are any ITAM tools being used in the teams like procurement, inventory, request, license management, retirement and disposal
- Identify if there is a defined procurement team and process, taking care of procuring assets (which means selecting right suppliers in a transparent procedure, without showing any bias; and maintaining a database for all the supplier transactions, and supplier information)?
- Identify if there is a defined inventory team and a process established, taking care of inspecting the assets (which means inspecting the quality of assets, verifying if you have received the same assets as per your purchase orders) and stocking the assets in an appropriate and accessible way?
- Identify if there is a defined procedure or process for requesting or ordering assets for the end users in customer premises?
- Identify if there is a defined license management team and process established, for monitoring the license usage, for tracking the licenses, etc
- Identify if there is a defined procedure/ criteria or process for retiring assets?
- Identify if there is a defined procedure or process for disposing assets?
- Present all the gaps identified in processes, highlight what processes are missing in the organization, and the risks involved (incompliance, overspending, extra efforts of human resources, etc.)
- Present the benefits of ITAM business practice with the customer management teams with respect to cost reduction on assets, optimum utilization etc.
- Depict the ideal scenario with some flowcharts how ITAM processes and activities would work (procurement, inventory, request, retirement and disposal activities).
- Define a project plan with number of human resources needed, time duration, software needed, costs and scope, etc
- Get the opinion of the management, to determine what processes would customer want in their organization
- Obtain the management approval
- Define ITAM processes, procedures, metrics, etc; with respect to the business requirement or with respect to the customer needs
- Set up the operational teams and train them on their respective processes, procedures and activities
- Define a reporting team; to report the snapshots of the operations work at regular intervals
- Conduct regular assessments to see the adherence with respect to the process
- Improve the defined processes with respect to any changes in the business requirements
To know more details about ITAM consulting and practice, please check my book “Guidance for ITAM” at Amazon (CLICK HERE)